Today saw some decent progress albeit not without a couple of issues. The most annoying issue is that I've found that the brake discs that I bought in good faith years ago aren't standard Cortina dimensions. After a quick bit of research it seems that they are suitable for the now rather retro 'upgrade' to Austin Princess calipers (boat anchors.) I need some new discs. Despite this, we have four corners at last.
I spent about twenty minutes just looking at it; the car is really starting to match my aspirations. The second issue is evident above and more patently obvious below:
The steering arms on the Escort rack have been shortened too much. Easily sorted, deal done. Anyway, the suspension is on but only finger-tight. When we come to set the car up there are up to 12 rod-ends to potentially play with.
All of the specially machined spacers are in place and everything fits together in a pretty pleasing manner. Incidentally, some of the spacers are plated mild steel and some are stainless - I moved to stainless when I got fed-up of paying the plater. If you look closely at the top damper mounts you'll see that some of the spacers have even be 'light-weighted.'
The temptation to fit a wheel was overwhelming. Or two:
It almost looks like an actual vehicle. If I was building the Moon Buggy from 'Diamonds are Forever' I could probably conclude that I'm nearly there! Sadly. I'm not and there is much still to do.
In the foreground here you can see the new brake lines that run from the master cylinders to the bulkhead. They are these gaudy colours for a reason. Blue = Back and Fuchsia = Front. Sadly they don't make fuchsia-coloured brake lines anymore so lilac will have to do. Behind the pedal box you can see the starter solenoid. I can't decide where to put it. But that is for another day.